Thursday, July 15, 2010

Our story

Our camera is once again returned to Canon so I won't be taking any photos of new projects.  I thought I would post a few old photos with a little story to go with it.


Fabien and I once vacationed in Miami and decided to call this vibrant city our home.  We enjoyed the Art Deco District and the calm pristine beaches. Like many others, we worked in the Real Estate industry and did well. I eventually became tired of the stress and constantly ringing cell phones. Deciding it was time to make a change,  I threw away my phone and went backpacking for a few months.  A hobby which I loved before I was married. I flew to Thailand where I travelled overland to Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam,  cultivating my desire to learn more about the simplicity of other cultures. Enjoying Yoga and Tai chi retreats.... that was about 8 years ago.



At 29 I felt myself yearning to be a mother, so was elated when I found out I was pregnant with Sasha.  Spending 9 months nurturing myself in order to care for my unborn child in the quiet space of our home.  There are no other experiences in life that could emulate my feelings at that time.



Sasha was born at home in February, a very difficult birth.  He contracted group b strep and was taken to the hospital where he spent 10 days.  It was the longest 10 days of my life.  He was not critically sick so they allowed me to care and nurse him in a nursing room nearby, until he was able to finally come home and share the comfort of our family bed.  Sasha loved nursing and holding this little baby in my arms night and day left me in a state of euphoria.  He continued to nurse throughout my pregnancy with Sania and long after Sania was born.  This I believe has nurtured their amicable relationship.





Birthing Sania at home was an easy 3 hour labor and Sasha was delighted to be there to welcome his little brother who has captivated the hearts of all around.  Sasha demonstrating such tenderness and has been a loving role model.




We had a beautiful house in Miami where I  savored every moment with my little children.  Playing, cooking, swimming, planting and decorating our children’s home and garden.  We enjoyed beautiful times with a wonderful group of Waldorf home-schoolers who inspired me immensely.





Our farm life began with a three week vacation with my two little boys.  Sania was 6 months at the time and Sasha 3 years old.  Driving up a magnificent driveway lined with coconut palms, cycads, yellow and red flamboyant that flamed the sky with their radiant colors.  Views of cows enjoying the lush green pasture.  We crossed a small bridge that hovered over a large pond enjoyed by many wild ducks.  Looking over on the other side a dense jungle.  I was overjoyed by the reminiscence of my youth growing up in the wild bushes of Africa.




Living in our airy house in Miami led me to an uncertainty and no special fondness of the farm house which contained many small rooms.  I felt claustrophobic but as I looked out the windows it took my breath away.  The jungle, the towering trees the rolling hills.  Captivating!


The expanse of the countryside, the scent of the sweet earth.  Listening to the croaking frogs and the symphony of the crickets.  The bellowing of the bull and the sweet birdsong transcends a city lifestyle.  Myself and children reveled in the nature.  Exploring all the beauty which surrounded us.



Three weeks turned into four years and an incredible illumining experience for our family.



We spent most of our days exploring the property and devouring all the amazing tropical fruits.  In front of the house lies a citrus orchard; limes, oranges, nectarines, and grapefruit.  Coconuts grow in abundance, we savored the sweet milk and tender meat within.  Thick sticks of sweet sugar cane devoured by the children.




The calfs that were about 6 months had been severely neglected and were in desperate need of attention and proper nutrition.  They were probably weaned on the 2nd day of birth from the mother so that all milk could be collected for sale.  The mothers were sold and we were left with the sick babies.  My motherly instinct told me that they needed  raw milk from a mother so we bought 5 milking cows and fed the calves by bottle. Not only was a beautiful bond formed but the babies were well on their way to recovery.





They waited for their milk every day, twice a day.  Many of our cow births in the future were difficult because most of the cows we had or purchased were artificially inseminated, and were kept in small feed lots with little exercise.  After a few years of natural living they’ve become strong and now need very little attention and we haven’t had a complicated birth in 2 years!  Our calfs that are born remain with the mother until 5 months.  If we feel they need longer we leave them.  We only milk our cows once a day.  We are grateful for our delicious raw milk,  yogurt,  cultured creme and  cultured butter.




We installed a green house because I was keen to get our vegetables and herbs growing.  The tropical rain seasons here are persistant so the green house was a necessity to preserve  our produce.  Being new to agriculture the concept of growing different vegetables and herbs was an experiment.  I ordered as many seeds as I could think of and sowed them in seeding trays and soon found out what grew well. Initially we  struggled with the pests, especially fire ants.  Our compost from collected cow and horse manure, mixed with grass and leaves is dark, rich and the best organic nutrient for our soil.






I will continue our story in another post.  It's hard to compact 4 years in a few short paragraphs.









22 comments:

  1. I LOVE reading your story!!! I was wondering how in gods name you landed in the Dominican, it's nice to get to know the story!!! Can't wait for part 2!
    xox maureen

    ReplyDelete
  2. love the story, very real and gives a sense of who you are...
    interesting about California, as I thought that that was definitely out of the question, how things change!!
    And France?

    ReplyDelete
  3. A beautiful story to read. It is intriguing to read your story and follow how your path changes, how you seize and make reality those calls for change from within you. It seems to me that you have great focus and will and thus really harness your power of attraction. Incredible, passionate mama with a beautiful family. Very inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was such a wonderful and inspiring story to read! It made me miss nursing my little guy. He quit partway through this pregnancy. Sniff. Sniff.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much beautiful ladies for your kind words. There is so much in life that can't be explained in words. These experiences are a part of who I've become and every day I learn and grow more.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I wish my story was half as intersting as yours. Very inspiring! I have an award for you over on my blog! You deserve it.

    Blessings,
    Kat

    ReplyDelete
  7. How beautiful! Your life and story of parenting is so inspiring and gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I didn't get to this bit when I was reading yesterday. What an interesting story. I was telling my husband about your gorgeous photos of that swimming hole. You have made me want to go to the Dominican Republic :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you, it is amazing here, very wild and tropical. You are more than welcome to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I treasure each and every story in my heart as I do you and my grandchildren. mom.

    ReplyDelete
  11. very , very well done !! interesting and more in common ; crossed the friendship brige into laos the valley , forward this to my douhters in holland en realy liked it ,
    thanks for this. gerry.

    ReplyDelete
  12. love your story! so amazing and different and unique. Look forward to more of your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I finally got to read this page of your blog and devoured every single word of it. It sounds absolutely fascinating and you really are an inspiration to many who aspire to follow a similar path. The closeness with nature and the beautiful sorroundings you have managed to shape around you and your family is truly amazing.
    I will be looking forward to reading the follow up to your story.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You write so beautifully! You are leading a very wonderful life :o)

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's wonderful...You are a beautiful family! I added you to my links! My children dream to have horses as to you!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful story! Thanks for your comment on my blog! We probably know some of the same people... I was a midwife in Miami and now work in the Middle East :) I was also involved in organic food co-ops in South Florida.
    Small, small world!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Phillip, Susan, Mitchell, and Etta !!!July 2, 2011 at 5:51 AM

    wonderful safe travels to you all, hope our paths cross again someday !!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow - how absolutely wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Janine, thank you for sharing your light.
    How lovely it would be to meet you, virtually and hopefully in real life. I am a mom of two girls 6 and 3, and about to embark on a diplomatic lifestyle living abroad, hopefully in simpler countries where simple living comes naturally, immersed in nature... perhaps we'll ask for our first posting to the Dominican Republic :)!

    I hope to get to know you more in time, and share and learn -- we need mentors in how to live a full authentic life and as moms... You have much strength and faith in following your inner calling, it is a gift. email me anytime.

    Sending you all the good vibes,
    JF
    P.S. ... and waiting for 2nd Posting of "our story" :)!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I met your Mother in Harare during Christmas lunch at my aunts house, Olga Ross. I had an instant liking to her wonderfully calm and nurturing nature. We spoke for hours but seemed like only minutes...I was so interested in your choice of life style for your family as I have two sons of my own and have tried to teach them everything I know through exploration in my garden and beyond into the African bush but inside of me there is such a hesitation to send them to school when I feel I could offer them more than a four walled room and a boring old teacher! I have a small Nursery School in Victoria Falls and opened through the love of teaching my boys and I love my job and all the sweet children that I spend my mornings with but you have really inspired me to do so much more... Thank you!
    Love always Jaclyn

    ReplyDelete