Monday, July 19, 2010

Finger Puppets


The enthralling movement and gesture of the puppets as they emerge and bring to life, a story or a poem along with its own character are a wonderful delight for children.  Finger puppets are so easy to make.   I love to make them out of felt because it's so soft and warm.


How I love to watch the children mesmerized by the charm of those little puppets.  My children especially love Mumba the Magic Cow because she magically throws gold coins to them.  I secretly hold colored sequins on my lap and ask my children to say the magic words “Pim Pim tum tiddly too” and all the magical coins fall in front of them to collect.




“When a young child sees their first ladybug land on their finger, they open their hearts to the world of nature.  This is a powerful force of beauty and peace for their entire lives.  Animal and nature puppets, especially when made of natural materials, can enhance this connection, weaving it with song, poems, tales and movement that help the young heart and head enter the natural world with glowing imaginations.” Suzanne Down


White Sheep, White Sheep on a blue hill.  When the wind stops you all stand still.  When the wind blows you all run away.  White sheep, white sheep where did you go.


Sasha and Sania were acting out the play from one of their favorite books the Ice Horse by Renne.  Where a little Scewbald Icelandic pony was chased from the herd by a Black Stallion which was their leader.  During the winter time, he found a cave to hide and protect himself from the harsh weather. He thought of his herd probably freezing and without food, so he went to look for them.  Fought by the Black Stallion he finally prevailed and led the herd to the safety of the cave.  The Black Stallion showed up in front of the cave asking for help.



Sania holding the little scewbald pony in the cave. He made it from a piece of drift wood and draped a white silk for the snow.



This is a simple hand puppet of an owl I made a few month ago.


I love Suzanne Down’s beautiful introduction to the world of finger puppet animals.  I came across her books many years ago and my children have adored them ever since.

Her resource book #1 has basic diagrams showing how to create these simple finger puppets anyone can make.  Each puppet is associated with a poem and theater suggestions.

Suzanne’s Juniper Tree Puppetry is now based in Colorado and offers many workshops on early childhood puppetry and storytelling.  I hope to attend her workshop some day.

12 comments:

  1. This is something I really need to try. Maybe I will make that my goal for the week? we will see how it works out. My son loves a good story we spend a lot of time reading but I have never tried puppets. Any simple suggests for a first time puppetier?

    Blessings,
    Kat

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh lovely mamma...you're reading my mind!!! I am just about to sew up some lovely finger puppets for my girls here...I just got the book "creative play for your toddlers" and there is a great bird finger puppet tutorial!! I do need to get more creative with my storytelling...that is where I seriously lack creativity!
    What lovely photos of you and the children enjoying your puppets!
    xox maureen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Story telling is just magical for children, you do it so well, glad that you enjoyed making the wee needle felted birds, love and light Marie

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so sweet, I love the little yellow birds : ) xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just came across 5 or 6 finger puppets from a while back & now I'm inspired to have more for my little kids. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The photo of the children watching the puppet show is gorgeous. And I love the story that your boys reenact with their puppets.
    Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you Ladies for your kind words

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Fiona! I always enjoy bringing out my basket full of finger puppets.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful,, i'm sure they will love them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Nicole, I love the little birds, I sing "have you seen a mama bird, singing in the rain" for the children.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I use puppets a lot but I hadn't thought of a lap cloth to creat a tiny imaginary space - thankyou for that!

    ReplyDelete