Thursday, July 24, 2014

Farm Days

Chickens enjoying my vegetable plate

My little vegetable garden provided so much for us this season and still is.  Even for the chickens!

Farm Transport
When the babes are tired I carry one of them in my ergo carrier on my back, the other in my arms or high up on the stroller.  My basket or chicken scraps go in the stroller.  Just like a bag lady!

Zucchini Pickles and Sauerkraut

I didn't realize that I had planted so many zucchini plants so we have an abundance of them.  I've made zucchini chocolate cake, fritters, we've grilled them on the bbq, raw in salads and now I've made quite a few gallons of pickles and they are yummie.  I have lemons, zucchini, cabbage and kombucha fermenting in the kitchen.  Loving all the cultured foods inspired by Cultures for Health.

Harvesting Garlic
The twins helped harvest all the garlic.  It reminded me of the story The Giant Turnip, we all held and pulled.

Quite a bit of garlic
My garlic is flavorful and juicy!  I may pickle some.

Stocking up on fire wood for winter
A friend told us about this site where you can become a host for volunteers, which we did.  We've enjoyed the help and wonderful company of volunteers from all over the world.   They work on the farm and we provide food and accommodation.  They learn so much from the farm activities.  Many of them have never had a farm experience before.  The work is hard and yet enjoyable they leave feeling stronger, healthier and sun kissed. 

Herb and Vegetable Garden

I saved some seeds I found in a wild flower garden full of Calendula in France and threw them out in my garden.  They grew so rapidly.  I love their golden blossoms, especially when they find their way into my herbal salves and teas.

Friendly Alpacas!

We borrowed a friend's Alpacas for a couple of weeks to help control some of our weeds.  These, however were a little spoilt and only wanted Alfalfa but they enjoyed roaming  the farm and being farm pets for a while.

A view of Ross lake on our trail ride

Every Sunday we ride out into the National Forest land. Once over to the other side of the mountain  we enjoy this  view.

Sania's photo of Chloe

Sania was playing around with the camera taking pictures of little Chloe.

June Volunteers!
We all have so much fun with the volunteers.

6 comments:

  1. I love love love what you are doing! Such an inspiration. You have to live so far away, why? Okay, I realize you are a whole heck of a lot closer than you were but...... still! You couldn't do this in Utah??!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to tell you how much joy I have in knowing where you are, and that you are safe and close. Your life is far more energetic and creative than mine is, darling ones - and I admire it and get great pleasure out of watching the lovely and great things that you do. Again - I worry about the children because they are living in a garden of Eden in the midst of a weary and terribly inorganic world. They will expect great things of people and processes because they have great parents - and they will BE great parents. I think their hearts will have been made so strong, though, that they will make their own reality in the middle of chaos and selfishness just as you have done. And perhaps as Rachel and I have done on a much less spectacular (especially in my case) scale (actually, Rachel is pretty spectacular herself). I want to be you when I grow up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you K,, I miss hearing from you. You flatter me you know.

      Delete
  3. I love seeing your world and look forward to visiting one day! Will you have another festival in the fall? Maybe we can make it out to the next one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Of course my nunu friend!!! We will have many.

    ReplyDelete