Sunday, March 13, 2011

Animal Neglect in the Dominican Republic

[caption id="attachment_2370" align="alignnone" width="640"] Open wound on the withers from Saddle[/caption]

Not too far from our heavenly paradise, home to many nourished and loved animals there are those who suffer from neglect, starvation and abuse.  I have been silent for a while with my posts.  Disconcerting thoughts and feelings  have taken me elsewhere. Into the lives of so many suffering animals.


Our help with animals/cows began here in DR 5 years ago. You can read a part of the story in a previous post "Our Story".  Months after our move to the farm I bought 5 neglected horses from a neighboring farm.  Three of them previously abused, high spirited and dangerous - their energy intense.  I had always dreamed of having horses yet I feared them because of a previous accident when I was young.  I searched for help from other experienced trainers. Two trainers from Germany refused.   A local trainer came for a day but I was not comfortable with his harsh methods of training and soon after I hired a German lady who claimed she had 35 years experience with horse training. My horses didn't take to her traditional methods of training.  After much research I found Parelli Natural Horsemanship and ordered their home study videos on how to train and understand horses.  Those 5 horses were pregnant when they arrived on the farm and I was grateful to have the invaluable knowledge shared by Parelli. My fear diminished and we were able to calm them before the foals arrived to foal imprint them.  We boarded 4 of Pauline's rescue horses from Project Isobel and rescued another 7 horses (the ponies included).  Having a total of 22 horses, including Bella, myself and Luis, my horse assistant have gained the trust of these powerful animals earning their respect and being good leaders. Learning the Parelli natural training methods and horse psychology we made drastic changes in our lives and the lives of our horses.


So this post take me back a few weeks, as I was driving by this farm I noticed a couple of horses that were limping and had severe wounds on their back.  I asked permission to visit and this is what we found.


The above photo is of a horses back, the wound almost to the bone.  This horse is still ridden in this condition today.  His hooves overgrown and painful to walk.





[caption id="attachment_2365" align="alignnone" width="640"] A starving dog on that farm[/caption]

We passed by the first employees home to find a little puppy and a cat.  On the brink of starvation.  The cat ran away so we couldn't photograph it.  It's hard to see in this photo but this little puppy was so thin his bones were protruding.  He was surviving by eating chicken poop and whatever else he could find.  The owners previous two dogs were poisoned with rat poison because they ate a couple of his chicks.... well I guess they were hungry.  We are now taking food for this little dog and the cat.  They have both been dewormed.  So I look forward to showing you photos of them in the future.


Pauline from Project Isobel recently found a dog hung by the neck being punished because he ate a chick.


There aren't many dogs on the streets because they are run over, killed or starve to death.  There are a few who survive but they suffer.




[caption id="attachment_2368" align="alignnone" width="640"] This saddle wound was infested with maggots[/caption]

This was the other horse we found, he had two wounds on his back that were infested with maggots.  We treated their wounds, dewormed them and Luis will trim their hooves next week.




[caption id="attachment_2369" align="alignnone" width="640"] Two saddle wounds infested with maggots[/caption]

Wounds around the girth and two saddle sores on his back.  There are many horses like this that are ridden by tourists on the beaches of Cabaretti.  Should anyone wish to trail ride please check the condition of the horse and especially check for saddle sores and hoof condition - this applies to trail riding companies in the USA too.




[caption id="attachment_2364" align="alignnone" width="640"] Bella, she's two months pregnant and starving[/caption]

Whilst at the farm the owner came, he is a wealthy Dominican and importer of American Quarter Horses and Brahman cows. His priority being cows, this mare was neglected.  He said he would give her to me to take care of but he wants the foal because she breeds good foals.


She is now in my care, I've named her Bella. She is still weak but slowly gaining weight. She understandably doesn't have much spirit. I have noticed though a little spark growing in her now that I'm bringing special food.  She even trotted today but lamely.  I will dread the day the man comes for her baby, he might even take her to because she will look well.




[caption id="attachment_2363" align="alignnone" width="640"] Bella's hooves, one had a shoe that had been there for a long time with rusty nails[/caption]

These were Bella's hooves.  One had a metal shoe with rusty nails, it must have been put on a long time ago and grown into the hoof.




[caption id="attachment_2375" align="alignnone" width="640"] Braman Cows[/caption]

These are his cows, they are his trophies.  They are kept with this harsh halter upon their noses and locked away in this box and fed straw in order to fatten them.  They have little room to move and rest in their manure.  They would damage their skin and lose weight if they roamed around on the large farm.  I have yet to see them out.

[caption id="attachment_2365" align="alignnone" width="640"] Little kitty[/caption]

My husband found this little kitten at the entrance of our driveway off the main street. Her tail was chopped off and her entire anus was eaten away by maggots.




Even though she emitted a foul stench, my little boys still helped me care for her.  She didn't survive.

Since we've been on the farm we have taken in 11 cats from the streets.  Some didn't make it.  We now have 9 cats,  4 beautiful cats that we share our home with.  Two in the stables and three at our other farm location.

[caption id="attachment_2373" align="alignnone" width="640"] Street dog open head infested with huge maggots[/caption]

A dog we found at the entrance of our farm,  once again off the main village road.  His severe wound was infested with huge maggots that must have been there for a long time. He miraculously survived and we found him a good home.  All dogs and cats we care for are wormed and neutered.




[caption id="attachment_2362" align="alignnone" width="640"] Little pup[/caption]

This little foxy loxy whom we call little pup has become the highlight in our home. Not only is he now soft and cuddly but he's obsessed with chasing our cats, cows and horses.   After deworming, removing hundreds of ticks and getting rid of his mange he's looking beautiful.  He now sleeps next to our bed at night and sometimes makes his way into it.




[caption id="attachment_2372" align="alignnone" width="640"] Sania loving little pup[/caption]

Their little baby.

[caption id="attachment_2361" align="alignnone" width="640"] Lulu[/caption]

This is little Lulu, she's a feisty little one whom was hit by a motor bike on the main street.  We brought her in a nursed her back to health.  She was just a puppy who managed to survive.  You can see her twisted hip and she still walks with a limp.  She loves to chew all our furniture and she gobbled up one of my baby chicks but I still love her.




[caption id="attachment_2376" align="alignnone" width="640"] Claudo[/caption]

This is Claudo, once a wild street dog, we found hiding by our chicken run more than a year ago.   He's one of the loveliest dogs I've had, so loyal, sweet and affectionate. He was surviving by eating the kitchen scraps and eggs of our chickens when we found him so skinny and afraid.  The children have so much fun with him as he chases them around the garden. Claudo would be a great stock dog if trained because he loves chasing my horses and cows, he's always alongside me during our trail rides and can endure long distances and rough terrain.  He’s my special baby!


How would I have known that moving to a farm would have taken me so far on this incredible journey learning and bonding with all these amazing animals.  The children are delighted to have new animals.  Sasha asked me why people buy animals when we can get them from the street and they are free:)

36 comments:

  1. This makes me ache inside, Jeanene... This must be so hard to witness that on a daily basis... I command you for taking such great care of all those animals!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Catherine, we are pretty isolated and don't go out much so don't really see it that often, but there are many animals that suffer out there and there is nothing we can do about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This brought tears to my eyes. How lucky are the ones that have found you and your family and the kindness you have given them. When people do this to an animal it makes me question what cruelty they also inflict on humans if they are obviously so blind to suffering? Are there any laws etc in DR that allow for prosecution of these sick people? The thought that the foal will have to go back to the farm makes me so sad - if she gives good foals why doesn't he look after her? The depths of depravity that people can sink to are beyond belief. Thank you for raising these issues - blessings to you and your beautiful family for the true love and compassion you show. I've been reading your blog for a while and just had to come out from lurking to comment :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely to hear from you Julia. There is nothing we can do on the outside to stop this abuse. There are supposedly organizations but most of these people get paid off or they are threatened if they intervene. Compassion and empathy begin with the way children are raised without this how could they grow into caring adults and find the heart to love animals.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am happy that you have posted about the animal neglect you witness, Jeanene. It is beyond understanding how animals can be treated in this manner in third world countries and indeed in all manner of settings around the world - all around us in various forms. You are so very right when you write that compassion and empathy begin with how children are raised. Thank God that you are able to help at least some of these beautiful creatures. How wonderful that your boys play a large part in caring and loving these animals. And just look at the love returned.

    ReplyDelete
  6. this is painful to read through & see! The things you have done are truly heroic & what a magnificent lesson you are teaching your boys about stewardship and love. blessings on you for all you are doing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This was very hard to see and to read. I feel so sad to see animals in this condition, but incredibly grateful for compassionate people like you. You are an angel.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I feel so proud of you for doing such a wonderful thing for these poor animals. I feel so sad to see them in such horrible condition, without that spark in their eyes. It must be amazing to see that sprk return after caring for them. I am scared for that mare and her foal, please update us! Claudo and little pup are jus tbeautiful I can see why they have become a big part of your family! I cant understand how people can do this to such beautiful creatures. I read an article the other day about a dog that had been found by the RSPCA starving to death and they had to put it down, it was that far gone, the person who had allowed it to happen was only fined $430, really what kind of message does that send!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can share your sorrow. Here in Thailand it is the same. I often wonder why a Buddhist country so riddled with fear of 'spirits' and afterlife is so neglectful of their animals. Cows and pigs are usually so emaciated they can hardly walk and dogs are treated like they are disposable. As horrible as it seems, it is wonderful that the earthboys are getting to see this first hand. I believe that it gives children a more caring and loving spirit to know that yes, one family can make a difference. Thank you for loving the Earth!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello Junglemama,, I have travelled many third world countries, Thailand included which I loved the most and I remember the suffering of those poor animals, even the elephants. I look forward to visiting your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This makes me sick to my stomach! It saddens and infuriates me so much that people treat living beings this way!! And if we're lucky, they get a slap on the wrist...if they get caught! Thank you for sharing (however disturbing it is) and getting the word out. Thank you also for setting such a beautiful example of care and compassion in taking in these animals!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow. This is just gut wrenching. Oh that there were more souls out there like you who were so willing to take in these animals and care for them. Oh that there were more souls out there who wouldn't let their animals get in this condition in the first place!

    I swear the animals know though. I get teased all of the time that if there is a stray animal it will find it's way to my door step. They know. They know somehow who will care for and help them...........

    ReplyDelete
  13. Rachel warned me not to read this. But I cannot leave you alone in it. I have read it.

    You are the hands of God.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I would have you read The Tao of Equus. If you have not read it, I think you will find it engrossing. And enlightening.

    ReplyDelete
  15. To see the pain and suffering from animals makes me so sad! Horrible man, you told about. And Sasha, wise child you are. It is so true! I don't understand al that people who are buying animals, but them neglect and hurt them...
    We also take care of those animals. Mostly we see them on holiday, especially in Spain the people are horrific to animals. Our dog comes from Spain and was also neglected and almost killed in a refuge. She is still afraid of strangers, but so revived comparing to the beginning!
    On principle i will never buy puppies at a breeder, there are so much lovely dogs in shelters waiting for a family to love and care for! Here in the Netherlands you won't find them on the streets that often, thank goodness. But on the other hand, we have a huge and horrible industry only for the unbelievable eagerness of mankind.
    That's the reason why I once became vegan, but now i'm vegetarian again. And use only organic and fair dairy products.

    Thank you for caring about all those animals. The earth needs more fantastic people like you and your family.

    Love, Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh Jeanene, this post is so sad and so shocking. I really admire you and your boys (including F) who have the heart and compassion to take these poor creatures in and give them the love and care that they deserve. If only you could take care of them all!
    We had our own sad animal story today. Our beloved little 2 day old Pip died this afternoon. Erika snuck inside while we were out gardening and played with Pip, she crushed her accidentantly trying to get her out from under the brooder. The older kids were devastated :'( they sobbed their hearts out. We buried Pip at the foot of our new apple tree. It's been a very sad day :(

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh, I don't even know what to say, even though I already knew this was such a big part of your life there. I didn't know if Jason would be able to see but he did and I read to him. What a blessing your family is to these animals!!!
    xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  18. Tears came to my eyes as I read about the sad plight of so many of these animals. You and your family have such huge, loving, compassionate hearts to give such care to these wonderful souls. We are blessed that there are people like you in the world.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Animals are so enduring are they not? They put such faith in us and many people misplace it. Poor things but good on you for helping them out and cleaning up their hurts. I love the Parelli philosophy, it works with all species. Respect is such a little thing and changes so much. My mare is back at the vets with her abscess again but because she is Parelli trained I was able to do internal examinations on her on the front lawn with out even a halter on her. She was even asking me to help her at one point by squatting in front of me and refusing to move until I checked her. Such faith and trust restores my balance that had been upset years ago in an accident like you. We are all working together to get better :-)

    ReplyDelete
  20. *sigh* you are doing wonderful work there in the DR. Those wounds are horrendous.
    Little pup and Claudo indeed look so loved.

    ReplyDelete
  21. A friends blog pointed me here and I am truly heart sick to see such wonderful creatures thrown aside. Thank you to you and your family for your compassion and for posting this. Sending thoughts a peace, strength, health and comfort to those in your care and especially to those who are not.

    ReplyDelete
  22. My words are lost in the emotions you have invoked. You are a healer, and I can imagine how your noble heart must have burst into song when you found natural horsemanship.

    And as if I wasn't wiping away enough tears already, I saw your Claudo. He is SO very close in appearance to our family dog when I was a child. So now I am a blubbering mess. But I thank you for giving love to the unloved. For teaching your boys compassion. For feeling life. Feeding life. Just...thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is painful to look at. It is unbelievable how some humans treat other animals....unbelievable.

    ReplyDelete
  24. That was a dreadful post to read, but thank you for that. *huge hugs* Many thanks to you and your family on behalf of those poor animals.

    ReplyDelete
  25. You are so brave to handle this daily. The work you do is so humbling and inspiring. I never will understand animal abuse or neglect. Animals are capable of so much love, and I am always in awe of them. In my home, we have rescued animals all my life, and right now we have four beautiful pets that were all near death on the streets of South Florida. They are our best friends, and my children adore them wholeheartedly. Thank you so much for sharing this, as painful as it was to read.

    ReplyDelete
  26. It seems that suffering is far away but ... when it's close, you realize that you can and should do something, you find the courage to act.
    Thanks for sharing that too.
    With love...
    Silvia

    ReplyDelete
  27. animals like humans are so precious. they cannot speak so we need to give them more support. if only... hopefully we are aware of animals in our neighborhood. Jeanene wonderful you have saved more animals... hopefully Pauline will get more support and finance to continue her new project to save animals. look forward to spending time with all the animals again...mom.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Oh gosh~ I read this very powerful post days ago, and it has sat with me, haunting me ever since. I cannot get these animals out of my mind, especially the kitty who lost his tail, and your son giving him love in his last moments. It wrings out my heart, it really does!
    All that you do is so amazing, wonderful, you are a savior to these animals! Thank you from the bottom of my heart- and thank you for sharing this!
    <3

    ReplyDelete
  29. Bless you Jeanene,for caring for all those poor animals! People are so cruel.....

    ReplyDelete
  30. Oh dear...this is so tragic. I read it a little while ago now and have thought about it so much ever since. Thank goodness you accompanied the more heart rending images with pictures of Sasha and Sania's care of these poor creatures. It's lovely that there can be some inspiration and hope amidst such a sad state of affairs.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Thank you for opening my eyes and heart. I shall always be on the lookout for animals in distress, and I hope I find few. I am so inspired and in wonder at your healing nature and heart. The boys you are raising are bound to be nothing short of kind, thoughtful, compassionate men. Our eartha and world needs them!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. This post makes me so so sad...
    Thank you for caring for these poor creatures and giving them a new chance at life.

    ReplyDelete
  33. It is heart breaking... I spent some time in Venezuela and saw the same thing. So little respect for God's creation, even for themselves as humans I found....

    Petra Christensen
    Parelli 2Star Junior Instructor
    Parelli Central

    ReplyDelete
  34. You are so admirable. Not everyone could do this kind of work. Honestly, it's hard to even look at. Thank you for taking care of these helpless creatures. I wish you success in all your attempts.

    ReplyDelete
  35. thank you so much for taking care of all these animals!! thank you from the bottom of my heart!! i am from switzerland and found your blog while browsing through others but couldn't stop reading. so here i am, happy to be allowed to share some of your life and more happy to see that you have a huge place in your heart reserved for animals who need help. :)

    ReplyDelete
  36. I was reading your work and comments on animal neglect in The Dominican Republic. It is very sad for me to admit it, unfortunately it is true. As an organization, sodopreca has been striving to eliminate abused against animals in D.R., even though, we have achieve some important goals like legislation to ban the use of animal traction vehicle, and confiscating more than 60 work horses, having a trained staff specially to work with this type of abuse; our efforts have been not good enough to save these animals. All this is because we lack the resources to transport the horses to a safe place.

    Sodopreca is an small organization, we do not have the fund raising machinery that the big American groups have, we do not even have a paid staff. We do not have the support personel to work out publicity on the web, so may be someone who knowing our work will be willing to help us solve these problems; but most people do not understand the effort and support needed to end this madness.

    Please, feel free to investigate our work and if there is really someone who desires to help animals in D.R., we are open and welcome anyone willing to participate and collaborate to free horses from slavery in D.R.

    Marcos A. Polanco

    ReplyDelete