Monday, March 21, 2011

Farm Moments

Thank you for the wonderful comments left on my previous post.  Many of you asked how my children handle seeing animals in this condition.  Since having my children I have done my best to present the world and it's surroundings in the most beautiful way and offer them a safe and comfortable paradise to live in.  My children see little of the worlds imperfections, there is much time for that in the future.  When an animal is hurt I remain calm and refrain from being dramatic about it, letting them know that they have a small injury and that we can make them better. The children are always delighted  to bring another animal into the home to play with and care for.


 




[caption id="attachment_2389" align="aligncenter" width="449" caption="Tomatoes are juicy"][/caption]

Our tomatoes are beginning to ripen the boys love to find these red juicy treasures and slip them in their mouths.

[caption id="attachment_2390" align="alignnone" width="640" caption="Fabien driving the tractor"][/caption]

We relocated these tress from our coconut palm plantation to our new house.  My husband was moving some sand with the tractor and I was standing in the empty pool while the boys were splashing in the rain water that had collected.

[caption id="attachment_2391" align="alignnone" width="640" caption="Opening up the cells to release the honey"][/caption]

Our wonderful bees have gifted us with an abundance of good organic raw honey.

[caption id="attachment_2392" align="alignnone" width="640" caption="Sania loves to help"][/caption]

The boys love to harvest our honey.  We had waited so long that the hives were so full. Of course we can't keep those sticky fingers out of the honey pot and the many jars we have filled.

[caption id="attachment_2394" align="alignnone" width="640" caption="Flowers are blossoming"][/caption]

My mother planted the bulbs of these beautiful lilies about 4 years ago.  It's always so lovely to see them appear every year bringing fond memories of her pottering away in my garden with my children by her side.

[caption id="attachment_2396" align="alignnone" width="640" caption="Little hedgehog I crocheted"][/caption]

I found this cute little book on how to make simple crocheted toys for children called Amigurumi World.  This was my first project.  He's so cute.

[caption id="attachment_2395" align="alignnone" width="640" caption="Luke riding coco the pony"][/caption]

We have enjoyed a wonderful visit from my sister-in-law and her little boy.  Here he is on the pony.  He's enjoying learning the wild and wonderful ways of farm living from his cousins.

 

 

15 comments:

  1. Reading you is better than a long nap for refreshment and peace. My husband wants to keep bees - but I'm wary of them. Especially around horses. Your children. When the world blows up, I want to have those children around me to show me how to live properly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kristen we love having the bees. I am always saving them from the pool. They only sting if you bother them, hit them or stand on them. My children sometimes spread honey on the dining table and even on their hands and invite their little buzzing friends over for a little taste of sweetness. They often sip from our morning toast and buzz their merry little buzz.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our tomatoes are also getting ripe,are your seasons the same as ours? That little hedgehog is the cutest thing ever! I want to learn how to do crocheting now! I think we must also keep a few bees as honey is so expensive and my one daughter goes through a tub a week. I read up on the Dominican Republic and on where it was...it sounds like paradise. In doing so I stumbled on Uruguay and how very easy it is to emigrate there! So if RSA ever goes the way of Zimbabwe,which I am sure it will, I know I can just hop on a plane and go and live somewhere peaceful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How magical! The photograph of your husband on the tractor is incredible! And I especially love the photos of the honey-work! Always a pleasure to read your blog! Since becoming a mother, I really only read non-fiction in my personal time, and it is such a treat to read blogs such as yours that provide so much inspiration, insight, and beauty. Thank you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Jeanene,
    How wonderful your life is on the farm, it looks amazing! We also have tomatoes ripening over here in South Africa, we have planted a few varieties this year which taste lovely. Your bees have produced such beautiful honey. Your hedgehog is gorgeous! I have just started to crochet and I must say I love it! I have been meaning to reply to you about the Kibbutz Richard went to, it was called Beit Zera, he really enjoyed being there, he picked bananas on a banana plantation and did so many other things as well:)
    Wishing you a peaceful week my friend.
    xo
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just love reading your blog. So many amazing experiences for your kids. Ones that I have yet to experience! Such a beautiful life you are giving those boys.
    That hedgehog is adorable by the way.
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. lovely post! we have ripening tomatoes too...just before the frosts come! I dont know anything about where you live.... why are all those the animals treated so badly?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Last year I had allergies that were horrendous! I was told to take a TBL. of local honey everyday. I did and it worked! My poor daughter is suffering this spring and duh me! I'd plum forgotten. Time to get out the honey and see if it helps her.

    My husband wants to have bees. Someday. This year is chickens. I am bound and determined to have some little ladies running around this heavily testosterone property (ha! less than a 1/4 acre) of ours.

    Your hedge hog did turn out darling!!! I'll have to go and take a look at the other patterns. So cute!

    How in the world did you transplant such tall trees! THAT must have been an adventure. :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yum! That honey looks divine! And that hedgehog is way too cute! I hope the visit is going well!

    ReplyDelete
  10. you have such a beautyful family! keep up the great world. inspiring us readers in the great big blogosphere, concerned with the environment, color, grass, animals, nurture, and the children for our next generation! (which might be in my generation too... i'm a 20 year old college kid... the world is just opening up its leaves :) peace!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the book tip! I sooo appreciate it when people give out their sources for great projects. I've been wanting to get into crocheting/knitting little creatures so I think I'll have a gander at that book.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Another glorious post and I can almost taste the honey. Beautiful amigarumi too! It's wonderful that you were able to share your incredible corner of the world with some family too - I bet they had the time of their lives.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Im hoping that one day we willl be able harvest our own honey too. In the meantime we eat honey from our own county almost every day.
    Ive just read your last post too, what a wonderful heart you must have to be able to dedicate your time and energy to all of those neglected animals. I hope that you manage to help more, although id much prefer it if there were none who needed your help in the first place.
    Aqeela xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. i love the hedgehog! isn't amigurumi fun?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such wonderful snapshots of a blessed life. Aren't the bees wonderful? We once had some VERY angry bees that had been hassled all summer long by skunks (who scratch at the front of the hives and then eat the bees that come out). Angry bees are not pleasant. There were many bee stings that season. But they're really not much problem if they're content.

    ReplyDelete