Thursday, November 25, 2010

Felt Art, Handmade Holidays, Yarn Along and Orange Pomanders

Pony Boy Felt Art

As many of you all know that I am profoundly inspired by Marie's felt art and aspired to be able to work with felt in such a beautiful, creative way.  It all started out with my little lilac felt girl, then the two little boys. Pondering on what I could do with them and playing around with small bits of magic wool, my first little pony boy felt art revealed itself.



Pony Reins

This is a simple crochet pony reins craft from the Living Crafts magazine. Another gift for Sania's birthday.



Sasha Knitting

Sasha is pretty good at knitting.  Last year he knitted a beautiful little kitten for his brother's birthday and this year he helped me knit the pony below.  He doesn't knit often because it's so hot in the tropics. Winter is the only time he will actually do it and not overheat - it's not a great love of his but he knows how.




Knitted Pony

I'm sure you've all guessed that we love horses and ponies.  This is the little pony Sasha helped me knit for Sania's birthday, the pattern can be found in the First book of Knitting for Children by Bonnie Gosse and Jill Allerton.  Sasha was galloping the horse over our pillows last night whilst his brother was in dream land.



Acorn Baby

Simple little acorn babies in a little felted nest.  I love the fuzzy looking acorn tops that we collected during our stay at the Redwood forest last spring.


[caption id="attachment_1851" align="alignnone" width="640" caption="Pink Acorn Baby"][/caption]


Star Decoration

Felting patterns by placing colored wool into cookies cutter shapes are my children's favorite craft.  Last year we made many decorations for the Christmas tree.  Above is Sasha's star decoration from a star cookie cutter but the shape didn't form to well, it almost looks like an autumn leaf.  I added two lines of crochet around to hold the form a bit better.



Boys Felting

The children having fun.  Working with felt always sets a peaceful mood in the home.



Star Ornament

Yet another Living Crafts Magazine ornament I made last year by cutting two star shapes out of red felt.  Sewing them in blanket stitch with red floss and stuffing with wool batting.  I added some beads, shells and a little bell at the end to decorate it.





[caption id="attachment_1872" align="aligncenter" width="533" caption="Angel in an African Violet Pod"][/caption]

A simple little fairy made from magic wool encased in a wonderful pod, dropped down from our splendid African Violet Tree.




Orange Pomander

The sweet, spicy scent that emanates from these delightful orange pomanders is delectable.   A fun little craft to celebrate the holiday season and a pretty, scented decoration.  The children helped embellish these sweet oranges with a pretty arrangement.  A spiral was formed in the orange below, reminiscent of their holiday advent spiral that they love to celebrate.



Spiral Pomander

The oranges in Dominican Republic never have a thick orange skin.  They are ripened at this lime green stage and offer delicious sweet juice.  We have many bitter oranges on the farm that we harvest to make marmalade.



Advent Calendar Bag

Every year we hang our advent calendar bags for the children.  This is a photo from two years ago.  A treasure lies waiting for the children in the morning as they excitedly wake up, thinking they were visited by the fairies.  When Sasha was little he told me the fairies had brought him these wonderful treasures so I have never told him otherwise. Treasures we include are shells, gem stones, little crafts I make, peppermint candy sticks, a small chocolate, bells, some little woodies I found from Michaels, colored glass, stickers. Finding treasures to fill all these bags keeps me very busy.




28 comments:

  1. wow!! your post is packed full of creative inspiration and love. how wonderful to see you creating alongside your children and to see that though our settings are very different, things are much the same.
    with thanksgiving,
    rae

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is a wonderful post full of inspiration! thank you for sharing all your wonderful creations. the last photo of your playroom is awesome. what a magical world you live in!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh what a lovely posting, your creations are just so cool, you are clever, loving that last picture, love and light, Marie

    ReplyDelete
  4. All your crafty things are simply lovely! I just ordered the Knitting for Children book in order to teach *myself* how to knit. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful post. I have just started needlefelting myself and I am loving it. I think the idea of using the cookie cutters is great, I will try and do that with my older daughter next week- thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, you've really been busy!
    I agree that Marie is such an inspiration and she helped me to get started with needle felting. I surely do lack her talent though!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah, I so wanna be at your farm during the Holidays! It looks so beautiful out----- here in Northern MN (and of course in CO) we have several feet of snow and last night it was like 12 below!!!!! Your crafts are beautiful --- You inspire me!

    ~Samantha

    ReplyDelete
  8. everything you and your little ones have created is so warm and nurturing, i imagine just like your home! xoxo sending love!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! Jeanene! The Pony boy felt art is GORGEOUS!!! I love the reins too...and the knitted pony (and I love the fact that Sasha worked on it too). So much beauty! I can't wait to watch the videos you sent me and to write back... We are doing a big translation contract right now... Life should be back to normal on Monday... Love to you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such wonderful handmade creations! I so wanna get knitting some horses too. Now I know where to find a pattern - thanks! And that last photo is almost difficult to comprehend, given that I'm looking out at fields of snow. I LOVE your view, and roof :-)

    Blessings and light...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, so much handmade beauty here - thank you so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I loved reading your post, it's so peaceful, calm and happy all in one. The Advent bags are a great idea. Still thinking about my calendar, must hurry up now ^_~
    Enjoy the weekend. Very c o l d weather is banging on my door, we will be mostly inside close to the fireplace to keep warm and cozy. xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beauty everywhere. Your pony boy is magical. (Do you know the song Pony Boy originally written by Bruce Springsteen, I believe. It is one my daughter plays on mandolin and sings.).

    Thanks for sharing your magic!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Just look at all that creativity. You are on a roll!! All so very beautiful, dear friend. One special little boy is going to be so delighted on his birthday.
    Love to you

    ReplyDelete
  15. Dear Jeanene, Your felted pony picture is so so beautiful! All of your creations are so very sweet. I have been needle felting a lot lately, sometimes I feel like it is my most favorite thing ever!
    I hope you have been enjoying a wonderful weekend with your family. I miss you lots and have so much to say, I just can't bring myself to spend more than the briefest moment on the computer these days. Of course next week I will be working again and will gladly take a little break to write to you...
    Lots of love, Renee

    ReplyDelete
  16. What an amazing family to have 'met'. I'm greatly enjoying poring over your posts and seeing the wonderful things you all make and do and the little corner of paradise you call home! Its so inspiring to see.

    And your pony felt art is just exquisite - it's like seeing a tiny piece of a whole world of swirling colours and magic!

    ReplyDelete
  17. oh wow, what a beautiful space - I can't wait to explore your site and discover your journey! Thank you for stopping by and commenting on my blog, I love that I found you via Sara in a roundabout way! We also have horses (though ours are wrapped up against sub zero temperatures right now!) and I also have a Sasha (though she is a girl Sasha, and is known as Boo in blogland) so I already feel like we are friends . :)
    Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm so happy to have found this beautiful place of yours on the web. I love all the wonderful felt art ideas in this post. The angel ornament is so sweet. Orange pomanders are such fun to make. I think I need to follow your lead and make some this year.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I found your site via Anna. It looks like a beautiful world that you have brought your boys into. Discovery, observation and creativity. A gift that can last them their lifetimes (and beyond).
    You have inspired me to try a bit of needle felting myself... I did manage to needle felt my fingertip a couple of times but have an odd little face/ball as a result. I'll look at it for a while and decide whether or not to post a picture on my blog!
    Thank you for sharing your creativity xxx

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi.. What a lovely blog you have. Also, your pics are awesome in their quality..
    It is so wonderful and satisfying to spenf time with our children crafting. And such unique crafts, too..
    Thanks for stopping by my blog...
    God bless....

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving such a lovely comment, Jeanene. Your Pony Boy felt art is stunning. What beautiful colours! I loved to see the pictures of your boys crafting, they look in their element. The pictures in your blog make me miss the tropical lush of Brazil, where I'm originaly from! I'll be coming back!
    Luciana

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is such and inspiring post. So many clever ideas everywhere I look.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love the knit pony! What fun holiday preparations.

    ReplyDelete
  24. so much beautiful inspiration. I love the knitted pony. I love the picture of Sasha knitting. So impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Pony art. First, it is true that anything with horses in it is going to be magical. Then add a little imagination, some wool, the sweet energy from an earnest, loving life, color. skill and love - and voila - pony art indeed! Knitting horses seems to have become a passion of mine. I have eight tiny ones sitting on my table, waiting for embroidered blankets. But sweeter to have your son help you. Good sons. A wonderful life. How lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Good day!This was a really wonderful website!
    I come from itlay, I was fortunate to seek your topic in digg
    Also I obtain a lot in your website really thank your very much i will come later

    ReplyDelete
  27. There is so much beauty and inspiration here. It reminds of the Native American saying, "Walk in Beauty". We say it as a greeting, like Ciao, or Hola. This saying to me invokes Grace, in the way we Walk.
    Be Well, Walk Strong and
    Live in Beauty!
    Aho!
    Nichole

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hi,

    We were looking for "felt art" and came across your blog. We are the Authors of "A First Book of Knitting" and "Knitting for Children A Second Book". If you would like us to send a PDF file for the two books please contact us, or go to our website: http://green.ogopogo.com/index.html http://green.ogopogo.com/knitdex.htm http://green.ogopogo.com/secknitdex.htm

    Best Wishes,

    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete