Thursday, November 11, 2010

A late Autumn post




Autumn Table

Our Autumn season's are not nearly as colorful as those in the North but we did experience the beautiful golden colors as Autumn quietly approached during our travels in the USA.  These are some of the wonderful treasures we collected from here on the farm and there in the USA.





Beautiful colored dry corn

This beautiful multi-colored corn we found at Casa de Fruita in California, at a small halloween festival the children attended.





Autumn brother and sister

Little Autumn brother and sister are looking a bit old now since they've been with us a few years now.





Pumpkin maidens

The wonderful tutorial from Marie at Softearthart has improved my felting skills and I attempted some little pumpkin maidens.  Do visit Marie's blog she has a wonderful Nativity Set Giveaway!


Have any of you tried the delightful little acorn knitting project of Lindas?  I did make two but not sure where the other went.





Moving plants to the stables

Part of our property is on the market for sale so we can buy a second home in the USA. Landscaping always enhances a property.  Our stables where the horses are groomed and the cows are milked need a little improvement so it's a project we've been working on.




Sania raking the ground

Sania's raking and clean up innovation.






Quiet reading time

Little boys that love to read....




Lip balm ingredients


I had some melted beeswax left over which we had used to preserve our autumn leaf garland so I thought to make some lip balm.




Warmed oils and beeswax


The children added a few beauty rich oils like coconut butter, cocoa butter, vitamin e oil, lanolin (which is the best lip balm on it's own) to the melted beeswax a few drops of peppermint essential oils.  They gently stirred it and poured the oily liquid carefully into the little containers.




Herbal Books


I have most of Rosemary Gladstar's books as well as her herbal course which I haven't had much time to persue.  She is a well known Pioneer in the herbal movement.  She offers wonderful health, beauty and herbal recipes for every ailment or purpose in her books and courses.  I do hope to visit her retreat at Sage Mountain some time.  Her delicious face and body cream is a favorite of mine but that will have to be another post.




Lip Balm


It's always better to use glass containers but I didn't have any small enough.  I bought these plastic containers about 5 years ago during my face cream making days whilst living in Miami. These little lip balms will be given to the young girls in the village nearby for Christmas.








10 comments:

  1. Hi! I am so glad you found me through my blog! Your boys are beautiful and I highly admire what you say about nature and how happy our children are when they are outside. We are in the midst of a big change right now. We are selling our small farm to travel and spend some time down south (probably Costa Rica this winter). I will follow your adventures and look forward to get to know you better through your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! What a great day you had! Yes, winter sure is challenging here! No, we are not planning on moving to Costa Rica, just to go and spend one winter and see. We want to move around for now. I lived in Italy whan I was younger and I would love to go back for a year with the girls. My dream of dreams is to move around following the curriculum (starting with 4th grade's Norse Myth in Scandinavia, India, Greece, Rome and so on). We'll see where life brings us! So where are you going next?

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a nice post! I love your sweet autumn nature table. And I plan to make lip balms soon as well. It has been on my list since September's botany block with my 5th grader! Speaking of herbalists, I signed up for an online course called Herbal Energetics with Kiva Rose, which I am excited about. I think Rosemary is wonderful , too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have been busy. I love your Autumn nature table. Needle felting is on my things-to-learn list. Maybe this winter. I had to smile at the raking. It is exactly what my son would be doing, with the added noise effects.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful post. Your needlefelting and seasonal shelf look beautiful.
    I have added you to the Handmade Holiday participants.
    Thanks and warm wishes,
    Tonya

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've got a few of Marie's things from Soft Earth Art. The boys love playing with them, they are so sweet.
    I love the idea of the lip balm, I'll bet the young girls will love them..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello!A friend of mine gave me a lip balm she made that is really wonderful!It's nice to make it isn't it?I'm so pleased to know you worked as a volunteer in a kibbutz in Israel, I would like to do it too, I have been 3 times in Israel and I really love the weather and the landscapes there!hugs from Italy
    Daniela

    ReplyDelete
  8. the very word, balm, is comforting. And I love to read about the oils and extracts. It all sounds rather magical and rich. A second home in the US will be interesting. Taking the boys from Eden to "civilization"? You will, of course, not deposit yourselves in a suburban neighborhood - the very idea is fantastical. But wherever you are, you will be yourselves, and that is a thing worth knowing. If I knew of a place I thought would suit you out here, I'd cajole you into coming. But I don't think I've ever seen a place I would trust to take care of you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That branch or root on your nature table is enchanting. I get called into the organic twists of such wonders. Sounds like you have many exciting things afoot!

    ReplyDelete