Friday, November 5, 2010

Harvesting Coconuts!


Every day I marvel at the myriad of trees we have growing on our property including varieties of palms and cycads;  Royal, Queen, Mexican Fan, Pygmy Date, Alexander and many more.



This is a dried, upper part of the bark that has peeled off from the trunk usually when an old leaf falls, leaving room for a new one to flourish.



The children find many uses for them in their creative play.  The children sit on them whilst Sasha pulls them around the garden, joyously up down the hills.




They make little boats which then become containers or little homes for their fluffy animals.




This is a little ornamental bag I made from this beautiful golden bark.



We had a towering 60 foot Coco palm that needed it's seeds harvested, it wouldn't be fun to have one of those huge nuts falling on our heads.  The intensity of the sound it makes when it falls persuades us to keep them trimmed as they can be very dangerous especially dropping from 60 feet high!



Harvesting this single mature Coconut tree yielded about 35 coconuts.  The glossy, green nuts were cut open by a sharpened macheta with the help of Ochello our farm hand.



The children poured about 6 gallons of sweet water into our glass storage containers to keep fresh and cold in the fridge. The firm, white, inner flesh was scooped out and enjoyed by the boys and shared with the dogs!



The rich, inner flesh is where the goodness is stored. The oils that are high in antioxidants as well as lauric acid, a nutrient to support the immune system (also found in breast milk) has amazing health benefits.


How wonderful and accessible it is for the children to have  all these amazing fruits as they pick their way through healthy snacks during the day.



I captured this moment as Sania tumbled down to the ground whilst the children were playing catchers with their papa.



Sania enjoying a juicy plump Carambola.  My first backpacking adventure when I left South Africa as a teenager was working on a Kibbutz in Israel.  I worked there for more than 6 months as a volunteer, harvesting and packing dates and star fruit (Carambola)  and working in the kitchen and peeling vegetables for 750 people!



Erica, a sweet little girl from the local village that the children adore.



Looking out from our open living room we have an inviting view of our pool with our cana palm leaf tropical Gazebo.  Summer time in the tropics would be harsh without a refreshing cool pool and all those wonderful palms to shade and nourish us!


19 comments:

  1. wow what a stunning, inspiring post!
    such rich gifts nature is gifting to you!
    how lovely to have access to such healthful coconuts!
    i remember visiting Jamaica and drinking from coconuts with a straw : )
    sending love xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. delicious! looks so gorgeous there. your children seem to be thoroughly enjoying life!! ;) rae

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my Jeanene, you do live in the most amazing place! All the different varieties of trees you have growing in your garden and the coconuts, how wonderful. Wow! 60 coconuts on one tree is amazing and they are so high up too. What a fantastic life you are living:)
    PS has your squirrel arrived yet?
    Take care
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  4. So amazing. I love the bark bag! You will have to bring some of your tropical treasures with you.
    I love the photographs you sent yesterday, thank you! And I am now in the middle of my email back to you.
    Hope your weekend is wonderful!
    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a spectacular land to live in. To nurture and be nurtured by. Wow!

    Blessings...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm new to your blog and I am really enjoying it. My daughters especially enjoy the pony videos.

    ReplyDelete
  7. how gorgeous! i so enjoy all of your posts, dear friend.
    and your children....they are so stunning....beautiful, beautiful creatures....full of life:)
    hugs:):):)

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMG girl, why on earth would ya leave such beauty for CO???!!! I mean I'm totally a snowboarding mama, but your part of the world looks beautiful to me!

    ~Samantha

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a harvest! What a beautiful life you live.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Jeanene, so lovely to meeting you. You have created a most wonderful environment for your little ones to grow up! All your pictures show pure joy and happiness. I already looked up the book 'Living joyfully with children', it looks like a great read. You made a gorgeous ornament, a sweet idea.
    I love your little place here in blog land, looking forward to my visits!
    I have been on holiday in Punta Cana and in Miami.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oeps, I forgot to wish you a s w e e t Sunday and a great new week ahead.
    Happy hugs! xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just me another last time, my little ones go to a Waldorf school. Homeschooling is not allowed in my country :(
    xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  13. But how does one harvest nuts that are 60 feet in the air? I am thinking of the impression one might make on me after falling that far onto my own head. I'd like to sit with you when you open one of these up - cocoanut has been a favorite of mine forever, but I only get the processed stuff. I like the way you are using the materials around you - the bag is beautiful and intriguing. Oh - shoot- I'm not feeling that well today, and the words are all stumbly. But I have loved this walk with you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you friends for your wonderful comments!

    Samantha we plan to spend about 6 months here and 6 months in Colorado. Yes it's a tropical paradise.

    Kristen the local people easily climb up the coconut trees, (so can Sasha but on the smaller ones) - we do have a long ladder to use it makes it easier. I should have posted the photo of Ochello in the tree but I couldn't upload any more photos.

    ReplyDelete
  15. How your boys will always, always remember these days and experiences. Happy rest of the week, dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
  16. How beautiful!!!! My kids and I are nuts for coconuts too! Thank you for sharing your beautiful, unique way of life- it is SOOOO very inspiring!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. So exciting! So you decided on CO?! That is really so wonderful that you found your spot. And how special it will be to live in two different worlds throughout the year! I am really looking forward to seeing where this adventure takes your family.

    :)Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  18. Absolutely beautiful, and amazing to me, because we are busy preserving our harvested apples and pears, here in coooold New England!

    ReplyDelete