Friday, September 17, 2010

Our camping meals!

[caption id="attachment_1347" align="aligncenter" width="300" caption="Mesclun Salad"]
















[/caption]




I thought I would share some of the meals we've enjoyed during our camping road trip. Most of the meals are quick and simple made from organic ingredients.

We have salads almost every day, twice a day.  This is a favorite of ours and we grow lots on our farm back home. We usually enjoy organic mesclun salad mix, cranberries, sunflower seeds and sprouts.  We always compliment our salad with the same simple dressing of olive oil, half a teaspoon of french dijon mustard, lemon juice, salt and pepper to taste. Sometimes I add some garlic to make it extra tangy along with spring onions, avocados or baby tomatoes.




[caption id="attachment_1366" align="aligncenter" width="300" caption="Wild Salmon with raw vegetable salad"][/caption]

We only buy wild salmon, I'm not to fond of the farm raised fish.  Our raw vegetable salad is made from grated raw beetroot, carrot, apple and cabbage. We throw in some cranberries and sunflower seeds and stir in a sweet honey and lemon dressing.  This salad is our children's favorite. Sania, my four year makes this salad by himself.

[caption id="attachment_1365" align="aligncenter" width="300" caption="Zucchini Cakes/Fritters"][/caption]

The zucchini cakes were absolutely delicious and easy to make.  I grated the zucchini, mixed in a teaspoon of salt and left it in a colender to drain.  In the meantime I chopped up some spring onions, garlic, parsley, basil, added an egg and some breadcrumbs.  After squeezing out the excess water from the zucchini, I mixed all the ingredients and made patties to fry in olive oil.  I also added a few crumbs of left over (nitrate free) bacon from the night before for some flavor.  Scrumptious!

[caption id="attachment_1364" align="aligncenter" width="300" caption="Chicken Soup"][/caption]

Chicken soup enjoyed during those chilly nights along the mountain creeks.  I like to sear the chicken first in olive oil, add onion, garlic, carrots, celery then I add the water.  Tomatoes, potatoes and fresh herbs come next.  I then allow to simmer for 2-3 hours!

[caption id="attachment_1363" align="aligncenter" width="300" caption="Tomato Mozzarella "][/caption]

Tomato mozzarella, my husband's favorite from the Mediterranean, is a simple blend of fresh, firm organic tomatoes, mozzarella, basil leaves, a drizzle of olive oil and balsamic vinegar.

[caption id="attachment_1362" align="aligncenter" width="300" caption="more added to the salad"][/caption]

Our mesclun salad with a variation of ingredients: carrots, feta cheese and avocado.

[caption id="attachment_1361" align="aligncenter" width="300" caption="Pancakes with whipped cream and blueberries"][/caption]

Pancakes/Waffles are a tradition in our home on the weekend.  I do miss our raw organic cream, butter and yogurt fresh from the farm but whilst traveling we buy the best we can.  We do buy organic and so far we've found natural food stores everywhere we've been.  We used the Organic Arrowhead Mills pancake mixture,  blueberries and horizon whipped cream.

[caption id="attachment_1359" align="aligncenter" width="300" caption="Challah bread"][/caption]

This is an easy bread the children love to make.  It is time consuming but they love to watch how much it rises and then the fun is in the braiding. Sometimes they make their own little creations like the one below.  I used spelt and wholegrain pastry flour for the mix.  The recipe can be found in the book "Good to the Grain".  The link is below by the honey crunchies.

[caption id="attachment_1358" align="aligncenter" width="300" caption="Sania's little teddy from the Challah bread mix"][/caption]

[caption id="attachment_1360" align="aligncenter" width="300" caption="French toast from the Challah"][/caption]

Challah is always best eaten the same day it's baked.  So the next day when it's not as fresh we enjoy making french toast, topped with strawberries, raspberries, whipped cream with honey or maple syrup.

[caption id="attachment_1357" align="aligncenter" width="300" caption="Bacon wrapped medjool dates"][/caption]

Not for vegetarians! My husband enjoys some meat, even now and then.  These are very delicious and so easy to make for a snack just wrap a slither of bacon (nitrate free) around a dried date and bake in the oven or over the slow grill.

[caption id="attachment_1356" align="aligncenter" width="300" caption="Honey Crunchies"][/caption]

The honey crunchies were quickly devoured by our children.  A healthy recipe I got from the book called Good to the Grain, baked with wholegrain flours.  A wonderful way to get creative with different types of grain.

[caption id="attachment_1354" align="aligncenter" width="300" caption="Wholegrain Couscous Salad"][/caption]

Couscous salad is a simple and refreshing salad for lunches.  My ingredients include wholegrain couscous, with raw grated carrots and raw sweetcorn. I roast pine nuts,  fry some onions with zucchini and add a touch of cumin, salt, pepper and feta cheese. I sometimes add cherry tomatoes.

[caption id="attachment_1353" align="aligncenter" width="300" caption="Guacamole on toast with eggs"][/caption]

[caption id="attachment_1352" align="aligncenter" width="300" caption="Kettle chips with fresh figs"][/caption]

Chips! you don't often find "junk food"  in our house but once in a blue moon we do for a little treat.  We have great memories of harvesting the delicious, juicy figs at my in-laws home in South of France last year and indulging in their fresh olive oil made from the many olive trees in their garden.

[caption id="attachment_1351" align="aligncenter" width="300" caption="Bean and Vegetable Soup"][/caption]

Soups have always been my favorite.  I could eat them every day!  This one was made from onions, garlic, red beans (soaked overnight in a tablespoon of whey or lemon juice), fresh collards, zucchini, tomatoes, carrots, potatoes, fresh herbs and a bay leaf. This soup was enjoyed at our special little camp in Pecos,  New Mexico to warm us up.

[caption id="attachment_1349" align="aligncenter" width="300" caption="Strawberries/raspberries and cream"][/caption]

A desert well loved when we can get organic berries.  We crown our berries with rich fresh cream and a touch of raw honey.

[caption id="attachment_1348" align="aligncenter" width="300" caption="Some quick on the road snacks!"][/caption]

Little organic baby carrots are always handy for a quick snack, my children love them.  I make my own hummus dip.  Egg mayonnaise with wholegrain bread.   Fuji apples and red grapes.

[caption id="attachment_1350" align="aligncenter" width="300" caption="Dried herbal teas"][/caption]

Every evening in Dominican Republic I walk with my children, dogs and my little basket to gather my fresh herbs for our evening herbal tea.  I do like to add some dried herbs that I don't always have available.  These are some we have whilst traveling: Chamomile flowers, Red Raspberry (my favorite during my pregnancies) lemon balm, lavender and oat straw. I love the selection and organic quality that is offered at Mountain Rose Herbs. I've seen many herbs in parks and towns during our travels. Muellin, yarrow, dandelions and white clover are in abundance, and some lavender in New Mexico.

17 comments:

  1. Hello dear Mama!
    Oh so many delicious meals!! I will try many of these. I haven't had much time to be creative with our meals since our babe arrived and we are all so tired of most of our regular meals! Thanks for all the inspiration. I'll write more soon. Have been flat out with planning, returning to normal after Mama's visit and clinging to the last bit of summer here. I hope your adventuring is leading you towards discoveries you had hoped for.
    Love to you and your family, dear friend.
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! both delicious and beautiful. hmmm bacon and dates yummy :o)
    Autumn is our soup season, thanks for the ingredient inspiration.
    Carolyne
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. What delicious meals! The bacon wrapped around the dates sounds wonderful. I hope you are having a wonderful vacation:)
    Take care
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful meals, thank you for sharing them!
    I just sent my husband an email asking him to bring home some of these ingredients!
    The raw salad and zucchini cakes look wonderful! Do you make your own lemon dressing or is there a specific kind you would recommend? Sending love xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum...Yum...Yum...thanks for sharing! Will definitely give some of these a try.

    ReplyDelete
  6. whoa! thanks for sharing all the foodie goodness.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. what delicious looking food! I want to come camping with you:) Thanks for visiting my blog

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just wanted to comment and tell you, I meandered to your blog through some accident of internet surfing, and I am so glad I did! What a peaceful, uplifting little corner in the interwebs :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. WOW! I want to go camping with your family. Certainly not the hot dogs, baked beans and smores that I grew up eating while we were camping!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I had to stop back in here to let you know we made the zucchini cakes last night and they were incredible! I will send you a photo and email soon : ) I am happy to add this to our favorites! xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello Nicole, I was going to write out the exact recipe for you.. I'm glad you liked them, they were surprisingly good for us to.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think I could learn to LOVE camping if I travelled with you!
    Beautiful food!
    xo maureen

    ReplyDelete
  13. So much good food! And beautiful. I forgot to tell you, we got the Good to the Grain from the library the other day...

    ReplyDelete
  14. i absolutely love the meals! I cannot wait to visit one day! Alex and I will be in heaven in your home, the food looks amazing! Your blog is wonderful, really love the pictures and your writting is super! What a wonderful experience you are having! We are gearing ourselves to being able to do that one day!

    xxx love you me xxx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yum, they all look delicious. I just made my first challah this morning, so I'm hoping it will taste ok :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I LOVE your camping recipes. We seem to have very similar way of cooking! One thing I will find very hard when traveling is not to have an oven... I will have to be even more creative! Your ideas are priceless!

    ReplyDelete
  17. There is a lot of fun that can be had while camping. You might discover something new about yourself, get a little closer to nature or just feel free from the everyday stress you have to deal with. You can hike and roast marshmallows over an open fire. There are lots of things you can do, and lots of things to do before your next camping trip. Here are some helpful tips to assist you to have that great experience. `

    Current posting straight from our personal blog
    <".http://www.caramoan.co/

    ReplyDelete