Saturday, September 11, 2010

Learning Crochet and a visit to Tierra Wools



Tierra Wools Store

A short post before we head back into the forest for some boon docking!  Here are some photos of a charming little store called Tierra Wools.

[caption id="attachment_1307" align="aligncenter" width="300" caption="Weaving Table for Weaving Tapestries "][/caption]

They had many weaving tables in the store.  During the spring and summer months they offer courses on weaving.

[caption id="attachment_1308" align="aligncenter" width="300" caption="A sweet lady showing us how to spin wool"][/caption]

A lady kindly offered to demonstrate how to spin wool. It was interesting to watch how her hand graciously guided the wool, swirling it into yarn.

[caption id="attachment_1309" align="aligncenter" width="200" caption="Learning to crochet"][/caption]

A little woolie project of my own.  My friend Christina begun to show me how to crochet about 5 years ago but I never persevered.  So recently bought the book Kids Crochet and have tried a couple of projects.

[caption id="attachment_1310" align="aligncenter" width="300" caption="The little brown woolie hat I made for Sania but Sasha is wearing it"][/caption]

With few mistakes it turned out ok.  Am sure the next one will be better.  I will keep practicing.

Off to San Jose National Forest outside Pagosa Spring, CO, have a lovely week!

8 comments:

  1. oooh keep at it. I learnt to crochet last year and am loving it. I have to say that it didn't come naturally, I had to sit for 7 hours straight just to get the hang of holding the hook and working out the different parts of the stitch. It was worth it though as crochet is so much faster than knitting :o)
    Your hat looks really great! And there are loads of great patterns on ravelry to try too.
    Have fun
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh!! does that mean you are going to see my sweet renee soon?!! please squeeze her for me. :)

    i have yet to learn crochet. maybe i can get christina to teach me, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't you just love cute little quaint stores like that? How fun for you guys! And of course your little hats are sooo cute on your boys!!!

    ~Samantha

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderfully quaint wool store, so sweet that the lady showed you how to spin, I think I see a spinning wheel in your future (hee, hee) Your crocheted hats look great, well done! I really want to learn how to crochet:)
    xo
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow--looks like such a beautiful place! I, too, am a bit afraid of crocheting...knitting has always favored me more....your hats look great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your holiday looks so much fun...and I think your recent tree planting venture is fantastic!!

    (and we got a pony! Dd has watched your boys trekking video many, many times and wants to do her own one now.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello dear Mama,
    Hope you are having great times on your adventures. I could lose myself in that wool store you visited. I am sure you all must have enjoyed the spinning demonstration. There is something quite magical about that wheel turning and the yarn winding about the bobbin. My boys love the process. Your hat looks great. I had my mother teaching me crochet while she was visiting. I will have to keep at it! Knitting and spinning is somehow easier for me. Have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh crochet is fun and fast too! :)
    Store looks neat. happy travels!
    xo

    ReplyDelete