Friday, June 25, 2010

Harvesting Sesame Seeds






This is the first time we have grown sesame seeds.  Such  tiny, delicate seeds encapsulated in a beautiful green hairy pod.  The sun has ripened them and the tiny seeds fall easily onto the ground and in our bowl.







The children had fun shaking them out and sifting their hands through the little seeds.



and tasting them.

A delicious Tahini sauce is made from the Sesame seeds.  I toast them first on a frying pan to bring out the flavor.  I put a cup of seeds in the blender with 1/4 cup organic flax/veg oil and blend to a paste.   I usually make double the quantity.

For the hummus, I soak the chickpeas overnight in a tablespoon of whey that we get from our homemade yogurt.  To the food processor I add two cups of cooked chickpeas, a quarter cup of tahini sauce, 3 crushed garlic (or more), juice of 2 - 3 lemons depending on taste, blend together - whilst blending, slowly add 1 Tbs olive or flax oil.  You can add a pinch of cayenne pepper to spice it up a bit.  If the chickpeas consistency seems to thick you can add some of the cooking water left over from the chickpeas.



A healthy delicious snack for the children served with carrots, broccoli, celery sticks and pita bread.




3 comments:

  1. How cool. I'm not sure I've ever seen seasame seeds growing. An interesting little plant. Happy weekend to you--

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me neither Grace. It was an interesting experiment and they are so easy to grow. Now we have hundreds sprouting everywhere. Have a beautiful weekend with your lovely daughters.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful experience! and I love the photos of your sweet boys!
    I have never seen them growing before, what a great treat! : )

    ReplyDelete