Sunday, August 28, 2011

Creative fun - Bamboo Raft

Sasha has been wanting to do wood crafting lately.  It all seems to fall so well with Steiner's ideas for third grade.  He has been thinking up designs for a tree house, a go-cart, boats and many other things.



Sailing Raft for Moose

Fabien and the boys set out to cut some of our dried bamboo that had fallen recently. The smaller pieces were cut from one of our bamboo palms.  They joined all the pieces securely by using my thin cotton yarn.

Raft

Look how beautiful it turned out.  We did have a silk sail but Sania preferred  it like this. A sail boat for his little moose.



Long Boarding at the Beach


It is so wonderful to be back near the beach.  We missed the ocean and the refreshing salt water.



Sailing leaves down the Stream

The children love sailing little leaf boats and twigs down our stream.


Sasha's watercolor painting

Sasha painted this pretty little peacock using the three primary stockmar watercolors.

Building Bridges

Almost every evening the boys build train tracks or homes and bridges with their Kapla.

Mango Lassi

I can believe it has taken me so long to make this nutritional drink especially that we always have so much buttermilk left after our butter making.  I first tasted this refreshing drink about 17 years ago during my backpacking trips to India.  Two and half cups of mango, 1/4 cup of sugar (I used our raw honey) blend it, then blend more with 1 quart of buttermilk.  Strain through a fine sieve and serve cold.  It's so delicious and very rich.  The boys made some ice cream with the left overs.





13 comments:

  1. Of course there would be a moose on the raft! It's nice to see some of what you have been up to. I love Sasha's painting so much! He has inspired me. I wish we could all paint together.
    I did forget to say when I wrote back to you, don't worry, Chloe really is fine, she hardly seems bothered by it at all. You know she is brave and strong!
    Miss you! XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful pictures and words, cheers Marie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Jeanene,
    It is wonderful to visit your blog again, I love the bamboo raft, so beautifully made and perfect. The moose looks very comfortable:) Sasha's watercolour painting is lovely and I noticed that on the face it actually does look like peacock feathers, amazing! The mango lassi sounds divine, I will have to try that soon:)
    Love to you and yours
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh how I love your beautiful family life:)
    The painting is gorgeous and I think Charlie and I may paint tomorrow, thank you for sharing.
    Sue x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good job boys on the bamboo raft! I can remember making little boats and such and floating them down our stream that ran through our property.

    Just the other day, my little girl said she wished she could grow up the way I did. On land...... My heart wishes it too....... Maybe when she gets a home of her own she can have land and provide the life I had growing up for her children.

    My little boys play with their little wooden train and car set all of the time as well. It is all over my family room as I type this from their playing yesterday. I enjoy watching my children play.

    Sasha's watercolor picture is just perfect! I knew exactly what it was. Beautiful job dear talented boy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. so nice to have you back in the blogland! i love your rich posts of family togetherness, craftiness, and nature land loveliness. sasha's peacock is gorgeous - it must be framed. the sailboat - amazing. you all must be very happy to be home - that's the best thing after a vacation is begin happy to be home!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So much here to talk about - but first a concern: Moose has on NO life jacket. I cannot condone this. What if a great wave comes and sweeps him overboard? I am not worried about a capsize - that raft looks altogether too stable. But Fabien - how could you have allowed Moose to take the raft out without his jacket, eh?

    I love seeing the three of them so earnestly working together. How many men who run the world these days would have been all the deeper and more man like if they had had fathers like Fabien?

    The painting is very good. The complexity of the design in the tail feathers is eloquent and complex. I like the way the brush moisture seems to have been consistent throughout, and the spread is just delicious. Very nice use of the color.

    It was bad enough, by the way, to TELL me how good the mango drinks are - but then to SHOW me??? I find myself trying to reach through the screen.

    many kisses to you all!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, I love that raft! And Sasha's peacock! Wow! Did you do it and he copied it or he came up with it on it's own? Mango lassi, yum!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, you have been busy! What a beautiful post. That raft is amazing- and the peacock painting is incredible! That mango lassi gives me flashbacks to my own India backpacking days- yum!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mango Lassi....delicious! The boys were super impressed with the raft as am I....great job boys and dad! The watercolour is a delight as well. So glad you are happy to be home, your beach looks very inviting. Did all your animals survive you being away? Hugs Jen xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Arrrgh, I'm behind AGAIN. That's one of the beauties of blogs, they keep things still for families to remember, and for visitors to enjoy (even if long after the fact). Oh, to have bamboo at your disposal. How dreamy. The raft is a delight and the colour of the water is incredible. And, and, well - EVERYTHING you have shared here is incredible.

    My crew LOVE playing with their wooden blocks too, though they aren't Kapla. The blocks are their all-time favourite toys.

    ReplyDelete
  12. how neat to build a boat like that! & we LOVE kapla, i feel we're always tripping over a village or tall tower made of these handy blocks...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful and inspiring, just as always Jeanene! The boat is wonderful - moose looks positively regal in his new mode of transport. And the peacock is exquisite. Thank you for such a lovely post!

    ReplyDelete