Thursday, February 17, 2011

Farm Friday

[caption id="attachment_2288" align="alignnone" width="640" caption="Sania gently removing the hook from the fishes mouth"][/caption]

I am joining along with Wabi-Sabi Wanderings in posting beautiful images on and around the farm. Last week Fabien was moving a lot of compost to our vegetable and herb garden and the boys were delighted to find the hugest, longest worms.  Sania immediately suggested to go fishing.  Our little duck pond that lies at the foot of the ravine just below our house has an abundance of fish.  I was amazed at how Sania and Sasha handled the rod and fish, removing the hook gently so as not to hurt them.  They were thrown back into the water after the children played with and observed them.




[caption id="attachment_2289" align="alignnone" width="640" caption="Sasha feeding bread to the ducks and geese"][/caption]

The many ducks and geese we have were saved from confined cages on the streets of the city of Santiago De Caballeros.  Some of the geese had never swam before so they found it awkward in the beginning.  It didn't take long for these beautiful creatures to enjoy the coolness and freedom of this space.




[caption id="attachment_2290" align="alignnone" width="640" caption="We were given some loofahs from the vine"][/caption]

Rosa, the lady that helps us in our home, kindly brought us some loofahs from her vine.  I remember we had one in our garden in Zimbabwe when I was growing up.

[caption id="attachment_2291" align="alignnone" width="640" caption="After peeling the skin, many little blacks seeds were hidden within"][/caption]

The children shook them, making their own musical instruments and collecting the little black seeds hidden within.

The softly textured loofah sponges are now used as a bath sponge to massage and wash all that mud and dirt away.

[caption id="attachment_2292" align="alignnone" width="640" caption="The children shaking the loofahs to collect their seeds"][/caption]

Our living room is open to the outdoors and our home is nestled amidst the jungle, the air is always cool and fresh as those merry little breezes play within the branches of our trees, an earthy smell emanates from the jungle below refreshing us with cleansing oxygen. Sometimes we are greeted by wonderful crawly, creepy, slithery, creatures in the mornings.




[caption id="attachment_2294" align="alignnone" width="640" caption="Loofah seeds"][/caption]

These little seeds are cosy and warm in a bed of rich soil, hopefully ready to push forth into sprouts and offer us a beautiful vine of our own loofahs.

[caption id="attachment_2300" align="aligncenter" width="533" caption="The bark that holds the seeds"][/caption]

The bark that holds the seeds of the Royal Palm splits open and allows them to hang tightly to the branch presenting many little seeds  for the birds to snack on.  The bark which looks like a boat then falls to the ground.  These are sailed as boats by the children and the one below we saved and varnished to ornament the dining table.




[caption id="attachment_2293" align="alignnone" width="640" caption="Part of the palm that holds the seeds"][/caption]

22 comments:

  1. Love the loofah.

    Your porch description reminds me of the book Mother West Wind and her Children. Her children were the "merry little breezes". Wonderful set of books by Thornton Burgess.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a magical life. It is so much fun to see the fun as your pond, the beautiful outdoor living room and the vegitation that abounds. We are burried in three feet of snow, and I can only dream of the jungle. Thank you for the glimps into your so special life.

    Blessings, Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  3. How wonderful to share in your life through your blog. Beautiful pictures! How cool the loofah and the palm...and ahhh outdoor living! I'm waiting for spring here in New England...U.S.
    I love the children riding the ponies in the water.
    I think I have found a kindred spirit... I shall be back to visit often...inspiring!

    happy day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm still just so in awe of where you live - it must be like living in a dream sometimes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So much beauty in your corner of the world! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a happy life you lead! And how different from my life in Holland, in a small town, where they remove trees because they destroy our cycling paths! I almost cried when they where removed! So little nature is left here ...
    ♥ Barbara ♥

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your living room looks like a resort! What a beautiful place to live amongst the trees! I love the bark from the palm tree and how they are used to create little boats....every child should experience nature up this close every day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I remember my mum drying out loofahs when we were kids. The smell of roasted capsicums always reminds me of them drying (little bit odd...)
    Love your lounge room.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How beautiful! What a wonderful way for children to grow up! I wish I wish :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. And your blog is a lovely boat that carries me out over the pond - and now to sleep, I hope. Lovely to visit, J.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello, thank you so much for your comment on my blog. Ive just spent ages reading yours, i know that many other commenter's have said the same thing but i am so wowed by your home and surroundings, you seem truly blessed. Your blog is very inspiring, i would love this kind of home for my family (but of course i feel just as blessed with my little piece of England). I really look forward to coming back and reading more.

    Aqeela xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such beauty to discover when visiting here! Your life is so very different from ours, and yet so many similarities. I really enjoy taking a peek. Oh, and so that is where loofahs come from. :)
    xo Jules

    ReplyDelete
  13. "Merry little breezes!" My sons are always talking about these- do I detect a Thornton Burgess influence. . . ? ;)
    I love all these beautiful photos, and I cannot get over the outdoor living room!!!! I cannot imagine that- oh how I'd love something like that- in the summer when it's warm we almost "live" outside. . .
    <3

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a lovely place for your boys to call home. The loofahs are so neat and I am quite envious of the balmy weather and breezes as we expect another snowstorm this week. I can't wait for the next Farm Friday for more glimpses of your beautiful farm!

    ReplyDelete
  15. such a creative and nurturing environment to grow and learn in!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love where you live. It looks like such a peaceful place. How cool to have a living room open to the outdoors! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hello sweet friend! Will you still love me if I admit to not being very comfortable with creepy crawly slithery things?
    I just love imagining you saving as many of those ducks and geese as you could!
    And it made me laugh when you said the other day you are allergic to the horses!
    Which reminds me, I have neat horse rescue news to share, as soon as I have the strength to write an entire email...
    Lots of love to you all!
    xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  18. Loofahs from vines! I confess, I had no idea they came from vines, or plants, or...well, I've never really given their origins much thought at all. But now I know, and am soaring from the wonder of it! And that bark bowl/boat is a treasure. What a joy to see photos of your tropical farm. Many many thanks for playing along :-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. wow--breathtaking and pure as usual...
    love and peace to you, friend!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh, I do want to sit in your living room, enjoy the breezes, and chat. Oh, and sip a margarita! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  21. We have a friend that used to delight us with homegrown loofas as well, I had never known they grow on a vine, I would love to plant some also, but I wonder if the cold would be no good for them? I will have to look it up. I love palm trees, one of the things I miss dearly (they do not do well living in a colder climate). When I read that your boys use the bark as palm tree 'boats' it triggered memories of my sister and I collecting them and decorating them with flowers and leaves to sail as boats also. One of natures best 'toys'.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I forgot to say that I am insanely jealous and very dreamy looking at your loungeroom, how perfectly amazing! It is the type of home I dream off, being so close to nature, practically living in the trees.

    ReplyDelete