Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Sweet Homes for Birds

We are now in Miami. All of us have been preparing for the long trip and we are almost done. I think we will be leaving early Thursday morning heading to our first camp, the Ocala National Forest.


I am taking advantage of the high-speed internet we have at the apartment to complete a few posts I left unfinished.


Now that we are in back in urban life, I realize how much I miss to awaken every morning to the chorus of birdsong. We constantly have so many birds in the jungle surrounding our house due to the warm climate.  I always have wool left over after doing crafts and the children hang it in the trees for the birds.  The other day we were delighted to see a little bird take some wool and neatly wove it to it's nest for it's little nestling.



It looked so soft and cosy.




We've collected many gourds throughout the year from our scraggly little gourd tree. Most of them that had fallen to the ground and were dry.  We decided to make some little bird houses.




The children carefully drilled holes in the top of the gourd to attach the string and hang it from the tree. They put a small hole in the bottom in case it rains so the water could seep through and not wet the chicks.




7 comments:

  1. I am always in awe when I read about your adventures and lifestyle! I am Floridanian (Ft. Myers Beach to be exact) at heart! I currently live in MN!!! Reading your blog warms me up inside! And how lucky you are to have tons of birdies living communally with you all!

    ~Samantha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely to see how your children immerse themselves in tasks related to nature. I am extremely passionate about wildlife and when I see children involved in activities interacting with nature and wildlife I feel always deeply touched

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh it must be so strange to be in Miami! I know now that we are "countryfied" I find it just so hard to go to the city. I find it just so emotionally draining...the hustle and bustle and growth...I don't know...give me my chickens, garden, neighbouring cows and trees anyday!
    Bless you on your journey! I hope you and your beautiful family have many great adventures and look forward to reading about them!
    xo maureen

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are so beautiful. So much that can be done with those gourds! They make wonderful homes for birds. We also love to leave wool out for the birds and it is always so good to find old nests lined with the wool we left out. Happy first part of your journey, dear mama. Thinking of you so much. Best wishes and happy adventuring.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely, my sister has some gourds, I must decorate them. cheers Marie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for your lovely comment you left on my blog:) You live in the most beautiful place. How wonderful that you share you wool with the birds. We have so many sparrows and weavers living in our garden, I think I am also going to leave some wool in the trees for them too:)
    xo
    Linda

    ReplyDelete