Thursday, June 9, 2011

Dandelion Fields Forever!

Golden Fields of Dandelions

When we moved to our farm in Dominican Republic about 5 years ago I brought along some Dandelion seeds.  Although they do not grow well in the tropics I am happy to now have 10 plants and continue to spread the seeds.

When we ventured through the countryside of Utah and Wyoming I was delighted to see an abundance of Dandelions growing in the pastures.  So much goodness!  The healthiest greens ever for man and beast.  I was amazed to see them in the Organic Grocery in Jackson WY for $4,99 when they grow all over the place, even in the town gardens and in the cracks of concrete pathsways.

Here is a link for some wonderful Dandelion Recipes over at Mountain Breeze.


Beautiful Barn amidst the Golden Florals

I am one post ahead, I will post photos of Utah, an incredibly elevating state, in my next post.

I am at awe by the beauty of the farmlands between Idaho and Wyoming near Jackson Hole.  So fresh, green and colorful.



Dandelion Magic

Their weather has been extremely cold and rainy this year that most of the plains are flooded.  The animals are waterlogged in many of the lower pastures. The mountains elegantly wrapped in their white winter gowns.



Lying in a soft bed of flowers

Soft, cool and fresh.  Summer in Wyoming, is a winter for us.



My Flower Child"


My little boys are always overjoyed by the timeless magnificence of mother earth.

Flower Delight


gaily dancing between the flowers.

Blowing Fairy Puffs


and blowing the fairy puffs.

Dandelion Beauty

My other Flower Child

Wild Flowers


They could not resist climbing this hillside to gather these honey scented wild flowers. So many flowers to adorn our family dining table.
Rolling Hillsides of Montpelier

Picturesque view of the rolling hills in Montpelier, Idaho.



15 comments:

  1. What gorgeous photos! It looks like your boys are enjoying the dandelions. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my! Those are beautiful pictures! Looks like you all are having a lovely time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such precious pictures! It all looks so magical- thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here in West Virginia it is hard for me to imagine dandelions being hard to grow. I am going to cultivate some for my garden to make collecting the greens simpler. I love the green sauteed with olive oil and garlic. On a less healthy note - I would like to try battering and frying the flowers like zucchini. Lovely pictures - have a wonderful trip!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Will you tell that flower child that my little blue straw flowers are still happy in the blue vase? Still quite lively - and a sweet reminder of my friends. Drive safely. I have new respect for the dandelions. Honest - but they are disappearing as my four legged babies graze -

    ReplyDelete
  6. All summer long, those yellow flowers your boys are gathering for the table would grow on the hills surrounding my home. I would climb the hills and brink my mother boquets of them.

    I am SO SORRY I MISSED YOU!!! You can't know how badly I felt when I found out. I was at the local pool where I was sitting watching my two youngest. Mainly trying to keep Levi entertained and out of trouble. The boy loves the water and so I know a day at the pool means I don't get a thing done at home, it does mean Levi is safe and contained. Out of trouble and happy. But sadly....... it meant I missed your visit........

    ReplyDelete
  7. So much beauty on your trip (your boys and the scenery)! ;) Dandelions grow everywhere here too, unfortunately, while on a walk with the kids today I saw someone spray chemicals all over his yard to kill them. I don't see what's so wrong with dandelions that someone has to have one bottle of chemical spray in each hand. They are part of nature and so beautiful! I love how excited my kids get about dandelions, no matter what stage the flower is at!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such beautiful pics, Jeanene! It's lovely to see the boys in the fields of flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have just come across your blog and what a treasure! Looking forward to reading more!

    Your photos are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are visiting such wonderful places Jeanene! I love the photo of the barn.
    Thanks for the recipe link:)
    Love
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous photos! I love that one of the barn :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a beautiful post, your photos and words have actually made me feel a little overwhelmed - they are so beautiful! Dandelions are one of my favorite flowers, when you pick them and stare at them so closely that they are touching your cheek you can see what a wonderful structure they have. And i love the smell too (but not the yellow stain which gets left on your nose tip!). i have never seen them growing a field like this before, wonderful!
    Aqeela xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm glad to hear Dandelions do not grow well down there. Please be responsible spreading non-native plants, lest they overtake and overshadow native species. Here in MO we struggle with honeysuckle overtaking everything so that often urban forest understories are solid honeysuckle. We need to be very responsible when transplanting species.

    ReplyDelete
  14. We ADORE dandelions too, and have made a point of spreading their seeds all about our lawn. And it worked beautifully, creating the most spectacular crop of them this year. I must get those photos posted. See how you inspire?

    Beautiful photos. Your earthboys look like they are delighting in your travels. How WONDERFUL it was to see you over at K(risten's)!

    Blessings...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh such beautiful images. So strange Jeanene, I was dreaming last night about a great field of yellow flowers and now I come to see if there's anything new on your blog and there it is!

    ReplyDelete