Friday, April 15, 2011

The Children's Easter Tree

The children's easter egg tree


The children found this tree in the garden a few months ago and said it would be perfect for the easter tree.  It is a branch usually attached to the palm trunk which holds all the seeds.

Our little felted chicks comfy in their nest

The children and I each made a little chick to put into the nest.  We needle felted two little balls each.  Felted them together and added a little red wool for the beak.

You can see the little nodules on the branches which once had a big red seed attached to it - enjoyed by the birds.


Some of the eggs the children painted surrounding the tree


The boiled eggs painted were used to decorate the bowl which holds the tree.
Easter bunny and chicken

The big easter bunny has been with us for a couple of years now.  The hen, chick and smaller bunny are new additions for the easter display.



Little chicks with their new mama

Our little chicks from my previous post are doing well.  One of our wild hens had been roosting on eggs out in the cow pasture for a long time.  I paid her a visit, taking along the little chicks and shook her eggs only to hear liquid within.  They turned out to be rotten.   I brought my little chicks along with me just in case and carefully tucked them under her at the same time.  After she pecked me a couple of times I took her and the chicks to a small hen house and left them there together.  She has adopted them after they were three days old. Unfortunately my little boys who were attached to them cannot go near the little chicks since the wild hen is extremely protective. She has flown at me a few times to protect her new babes.

12 comments:

  1. Hello! i love stopping in to catch up....your tree is such a lovely idea...adorned with the eggs and felt it really makes a beautiful addition to Easter/Spring celebrating...and the eggs hatching in your other post. Never have I seen so many amazing photos of a hatching egg! Isn't the sheer will and stength of a baby chick awesome? I loved them, thanks for sharing them. Your boys look so smitten. I remember when we got our day-old chicks nearly exactly two years ago, and they are still just as loved and happy and healthy. I hope one day my hens and roo can hatch a brood of their own:)

    ~Erin

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the tree. Bare branches are at least as beautiful as a tree full of leaves. And they call out to be decorated with love. You answered that call.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The branch is great - so complex with so many elbows and joints for hanging - and the shape of it is satisfying. I see your WoolPets white rabbit - I made one, too - a gift for a bereaved young man who'd loved his own bunnies. It's a lovely display. And a great story about planting the chicks. What a world - how many of us fly at those who would simply make our lives better, safer and richer? But I bet the boys are disappointed. Still - there you are, making things better for your animals.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think baby chicks is my favourite thing about Spring! We have a broody hen sitting on 4 eggs out in the henhouse...can't wait to hear those sweet little peeps!
    Your easter decorations are beautiful...thank you for sharing your sweet creations!
    xo maureen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello my friend
    Yes, you chose a beautiful branch and look at all the beauty and care and creation that has transformed it into such a special Easter tree. I am so happy that you gave the hen a new little family to care for. I am sure the boys miss their chicks but must be happy that they have a new mother to care for them. I will tell my boys about the hen and chicks. They will love to hear this. We haven't even put up our Easter tree yet - tomorrow will be the day! Much love to you.
    Love
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah Jeanene, you've filled me with Easter spirit in this post and the last. The tree you and the boys have made is perfect. It's lovely to have an update on the chicks too. I bet they're missing their felted nest!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a gift you have given here. The gift of life to the chicks, and the gift of motherhood to the fierce wild hen. A wonderful adoption story.

    And your Easter tree is a delight! That branch is spectacular and makes a perfect home for your lovely warm creations.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great story!! I hope she will get less protective when they will grow... I love the Easter tree! We'll do one this week too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a fabulous branch! The branches out in the woods behind our house have huge thorns on them. They are Russian Olive trees and the thorns are just nasty! In the spring though, when the leaves are just coming out, they smell so wonderful. You stand in the back yard and take in deep lung fulls of them. Especially after a rain.

    This week we are full into passover and easter. My computer is broken so I can't upload photos on it (using a borrowed computer right now) but I'll for sure being taking photos to post at another time. Our table will be added to through out the week.

    Kristen felted my sweet Mr. C the sweetest bunny when his died. It's on our table right now. Normally it is on a shelf by his bed but he is letting me borrow it for this week.......

    Speaking of........ I need to get some eggs boiled!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. through? Who taught me to spell???????????

    ReplyDelete
  11. The tree and the easter decorations are adorable. The wild hen sounds like my neighbor's chickens - the most aggressive breed ever.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great tree, Jeanene! It was so lovely to see all your wonderful easter crafty animals and then see the real life ones :)
    Did you have a good Easter? Did you manage to eat any chocolate without it all melting?

    ReplyDelete