Saturday, December 11, 2010

Handmade Holidays, Yarn Along - Angels and Fairies



Little Angel

I've always liked to make little angels.  My very first project using wool many years back was an angel mobile.  Working this soft wool allows to form sweet delicate little forms like these angels.




[caption id="attachment_1997" align="aligncenter" width="300" caption="Knitted Wreath"][/caption]

A couple of weeks ago I came across a sweet little blog by Anna Branford that I love to visit. This is where I found this simple little tutorial of the knitted wreath ornament to hang on our Christmas tree.  This little angel I made is so tiny.

I adore Anna's Steiner Inspired Doll, especially her little Pocket Papoose Mama and Baby, her sweet Fairy Tent that any young child would love.  Do visit her lovely little blog that offers wonderful Waldorf Inspired creations and beautiful stories to accompany her illustrations, someday she'll provide a magical home for a child.

Linda also has a  beautiful wreath tutorial to follow, another of my favorite creative blogs Natural Suburbia.




[caption id="attachment_2001" align="aligncenter" width="300" caption="Angel in a pod"][/caption]

Sania found this heart shaped pod floating down the stream last Christmas holidays.  We put glitter in the background and I made this little angel a cosy home.  She shone so beautifully in our Christmas tree.




[caption id="attachment_1998" align="aligncenter" width="243" caption="Tiptoes the Fairy"][/caption]

This is Tiptoes Lightly the little Fairy in her elegant Morning Glory blue dress. If anyone has had Morning Glories growing in their gardens, they know just how radiant they are. Reg Down's sweetly descriptive story books capture the attention of any child. In the book the Festival of Stones, the children follow her adventures and festivals of the season. They are so adorable and we've read them many times.

[caption id="attachment_2000" align="aligncenter" width="168" caption="Snow Flakes"][/caption]

Our Autumn and Winter seasons bring forth much rain that fills our streams and rives unlike the North where you all have a brilliant white Christmas.  I thought we could add a colorful touch of winter snowflakes to sparkle from our windows to enhance a Wintery feel.  I found my snowflake templates that I had tucked away in the closet for some time which I had bought from a Waldorf online store but I don't remember where.  The company that manufactures them is called Roylco they can be purchased from there. The children each selected their template and punched out the holes opening them up into pretty snowflakes. They helped cut the colorful kite paper to match the specific shapes needed  to cover each hole and gently glued the shiny paper to the back of each snowflake template.  We then stuck the snowflakes to the window with tape and we were amazed by the resplendent stained glass effect that illuminated the room as the sun shone through.




[caption id="attachment_1999" align="aligncenter" width="300" caption="Crochet Hats"][/caption]

Here are a few little crocheted hats I've been working on, my first time trying out the puff stitch, it's so much fun.  They were all supposed to be baby hats, a gift for my brother's new born little girl.  The green hat turned out too big so I'm giving it to Sasha.  The pink one too small, it could probably fit a preemie and the little cream color hat with the pom pom, I think is perfect for her.

Has anyone had success washing those little millet filled baby dolls?

[caption id="attachment_2004" align="aligncenter" width="300" caption="Little Ted"][/caption]

My first teddy I've made from an old wool jersey I found at the thrift store in Miami.  I had to shoot this fast because the boys wanted to see what I was hiding.  The arms are a bit long but the boys won't mind - they never see the defects.  It's so soft and cute, I know he will be loved.

[caption id="attachment_1995" align="aligncenter" width="300" caption="Gifts for the Children in the Village"][/caption]

These are small gifts we've wrapped, mostly clothes and soft toys for the local children in our village.  We offer them small gifts every year so they to can enjoy the Christmas spirit.


12 comments:

  1. Everything is so warm and nurturing, I love the angels and always wished to create one myself. My favorite piece in this post is the last photo of the basket of gifts for the village children! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everything is so lovely, and calming. PURE! That's what I find here every time I visit your gorgeous little corner, Jeane.
    How is it possible that Mr. Postman does not get to your doorstep? What if I would want to send you a Christmas card, wouldn't that be possible? I am curious.
    Have a magical weekend! xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! You've been busy, sweet mama! I love it all! The snowflakes look wonderful! And thanks fo the links, I love the Steiner inspired dolls!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those angels are absolutely darling and it looks like you've been super busy two.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So many beautiful creations. I love the angel in your first photo & those dolls by Anna Branford are too cute. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jeanene, I couldn't be more honoured and delighted to find that you used one of my little tutorials, or to read your kind words about my site. Thank you a hundred times over! And I adore your angel wreath too - so joyful with her arms outstretched. It speaks volumes of christmas in your home.

    A heart shaped pod - what a find for Sania!

    And I bet the basket of beautifully wrapped goodies will spread the christmas spirit far and wide.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Catching up again - so much to do. I had church, then watching my local grandtwo, then feeding the beasts, now there eyes to felt on and an essay to write - an embarrassment of riches. But here I am, because this is something I love to do = and certainly, you have given me much to sing over. Needle felting is so magic. And a heart-shaped pod???? Wonderful! But I think that my favorites are the snowflakes. When you have time, tell me how to do them - where to find those templates, how to fasten on the paper the way the boys did -with such crisp precision. But only after you are FINISHED with everything else. I have to answer comments, too. And write more to you - that email a while back only covered the first paragraph of the letter.

    Busy - joyful. Ask the boys to each kiss a pony nose for me, please?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the little heart-shaped pod! We have a millet-filled baby, and unfortunately one night my son's diaper leaked. I slit the bottom of the main body open, emptied out all of the millet, then handwashed the body while making sure to keep the hands/head away from water. Then I filled it back up with new millet and stitched it back closed. Hope that helps a bit!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Nicole, my problem is in the face. I have washed and cleaned it gently but I still have black water stains. It's hard to keep those little babes clean.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you all for visiting and sharing your lovely comments.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello, just wanted to say how much I enjoy your angels and other crafts! I live in the mountains of Washington State, USA and love to do crafts of many different kinds. Found you while doing a search for yarn angels and I am happy I did! Your children look so happy riding their ponies, what child wouldn't be happy with a fun activity like that!? It looks like a long time since anybody left a message but I figured it is always nice to know what someone thinks about information you share so thought I would just post it and say I love your blog space! I am not usually a blog reader but yours jumped out to me like a happy frog!
    Have a wonderful day!!

    ReplyDelete