Saturday, October 2, 2010

The Enchanted Redwood Forest



Driving along the coast of N. California we entered into the enchanting Redwood Forest. Delighted by this beautiful little tree house alongside a small winding road.



The winding road took us deep into the darkness of the woods.  It was hard to capture the essence of the forest because it was so dark. The little dappled light which sparkled through left the few fern and plants on the forest floor highlighted, illuminating their beauty.



Our little silver cabin, nestled deep in the woods.  It looks so small compared to these giants.



And so did the children has they wondered through the enchanted forest, their sweet voices echoing in delight.  Finding  caves inside the trees, once used by settlers to store their poultry in harsh weather.



They wondered from tree to tree, discovering the magic in each as mother earth has provided this magnificent playground for them.  The falling leaves cushion the surface into a earthy rich compost.



This forest in Northern California is the only home to the world's tallest trees, reaching about 370ft tall.  The Redwoods have been around for about 20 million years. A Redwood tree can live for about 2000 years.  They did exist in Europe, Asia, Greenland and Japan but change in climatic conditions caused their disappearance. A large tree can use up to 1500 gallons of water in a week. Only four percent of the Redwoods were saved from logging.



Many rivers and streams have dried up, only leaving decorative pebbles behind.



The magical forest has been awe-inspiring for the children.  Sweet musings of imaginative play unfold as they meander through it collecting treasures to decorate their little fairy garden.





A little wee-folk fairy that I made for a special little girl's birthday.

11 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, I am in awe! How magical, amazing , inspiring to stand and be in such a place! Such beauty...
    How lovely to see these wonderful trees, I can only imagine their energy, it must be a thing of wonder...
    Take care my friend,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how lucky you are! I have always wanted to see the redwoods and even though I lived in Cali for a few years,and I am currently in Oregon I still have not *gasp*. I NEED to soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my, what beautiful, soul-stirring pictures! Thank you for sharing your wonderful adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a beautiful place. We have always loved the Redwoods. I grew up in the Redwoods and yet there is so much more to see, I have never been to the places in your photos here. At least, I do not recognize them. So beautiful though! So wonderful that you were able to take your family there for a visit!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, are those not the most amazing trees.
    I have never been in a place quite like it, it is indeed magic.
    How fortunate for your boys to experience such grandness.
    lovely little fairy:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. so beautiful! i love redwoods - it is hard to capture in photos or describe how overwhelmingly amazing and huge they are when standing below. my boys haven't seen them yet...some day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is one place I've always wanted to visit. How amazing and magical.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think you captured the magical forest feeling very well!
    I miss these trees too too much.

    I am so glad you now have hope, I have much more to say of course, I will write very soon.
    XO

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such beautiful, amazing trees. Looks like a truly magical & fun place for the boys.

    I love your little wee-folk fairy, she's adorable. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I will show my children. They love mighty trees. Surely many writers and poets and artists have been inspired by this incredible place. Thank you for showing us.

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh what a magical place to play!! you are right, sienna would absolutely LOVE that breathtaking fairy garden!! ;)

    ReplyDelete